Posts on the subject of diversity in the tech industry.
(Cover image courtesy of #WOCinTech, wocintechchat.com)
- Book Review: Bite-Size PythonBite-Size Python, by April Speight
- Book Review: JinxedJinxed, by Amy McCulloch IndieBound https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781728216379 Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/1728216370/ Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45007889-jinxed My Review: ★★★★★ In this near-future world, cell phones have been made obsolete by robotic pets called baku who are part… Continue reading Book Review: Jinxed
- I’ve got a date… to save the world.Who’s got two thumbs and a date with a CTO? This gal!
- Bloomberg QuicktakeToday I was on Bloomberg Quicktake to talk about my book Raven and how I wrote it to try to increase diversity in tech.
- A first look at the impact of AP Computer Science PrinciplesThe new Advanced Placement Computer Science Principles is making a positive impact on both gender and racial/ethnic diversity in computer science.
- Racial diversity of the CS pipelineData about our progress regarding diversity of gender plus race/ethnicity in the computer science pipeline over the past decade.
- 2020 update: women in computer scienceEver since I looked up the data a couple of years ago and found it to be far more fascinating than I expected, it’s been a bit of a hobby… Continue reading 2020 update: women in computer science
- We Need Diverse BooksFriends, an organization called We Need Diverse Books is trying to change the world so that all children can see themselves in the pages of a book. Their current fundraiser… Continue reading We Need Diverse Books
- Supporting Diversity in TechIn which we all support young people who are pursuing tech careers! Hey friends, guess what – I got paid! Now I know it takes *months* for authors to get… Continue reading Supporting Diversity in Tech
- Another reason to care about diversityIn addition to all of the traditional reasons for supporting diversity, I propose a new reason: that diverse teams will support each other better, resulting in a higher-quality work environment… Continue reading Another reason to care about diversity
- Engineering Diversity – Changing the Story to Change the EngineersThe way we talk about engineers impacts whether people try engineering, how confident they feel, and our perception of their competence.
- Fascinating stuff in our software pipeline numbersOur production of CS degrees has gone through a couple of boom-and-bust cycles, and we’re currently well into a third boom. Meanwhile, the percentage of women in CS peaked at its all-time high in our first boom and has declined with each bust since then.
- Podcast about developer stereotypesA podcast about how stereotypes affect who goes into software engineering… Starring yours truly! https://softwareengineeringdaily.com/2018/01/31/developer-stereotypes-with-sue-loh/
- This is what breaking ground feels likeMy friend Lisa Hsu just wrote this piece to express the isolation and exhaustion she feels working in an environment without enough women. https://firstname.lastname@example.org/the-incredible-loneliness-of-being-an-only-c35ab7d85da2 I applaud her bravery in sharing… Continue reading This is what breaking ground feels like
- Thoughts on the PipelineAs I outline here, we have a shortage of people in computer science in general, and especially a shortage of women and minorities. People usually break the shortages down into… Continue reading Thoughts on the Pipeline