Posts on the subject of diversity in the tech industry.
(Cover image courtesy of #WOCinTech, wocintechchat.com)
- Let the Trolls Feed YouFirst, I’d like to celebrate! As part of our stemverse initiative, we’ve started posting some social media articles celebrating diverse leaders in STEM, and sharing both non-fiction and fiction books… Continue reading Let the Trolls Feed You
- Announcing the stemverse soft-launchHi friends! I’m excited to share a side-project of mine, focused on increasing diversity in STEM. Some of you may have heard me talk about it, and now I’d like… Continue reading Announcing the stemverse soft-launch
- Book Review: Bite-Size PythonBite-Size Python, by April Speight
- Book Review: JinxedJinxed, by Amy McCulloch IndieBound https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781728216379 Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/1728216370/ Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45007889-jinxed My Review: ★★★★★ In this near-future world, cell phones have been made obsolete by robotic pets called baku who are part… Continue reading Book Review: Jinxed
- I’ve got a date… to save the world.Who’s got two thumbs and a date with a CTO? This gal!
- Bloomberg QuicktakeToday I was on Bloomberg Quicktake to talk about my book Raven and how I wrote it to try to increase diversity in tech.
- A first look at the impact of AP Computer Science PrinciplesThe new Advanced Placement Computer Science Principles is making a positive impact on both gender and racial/ethnic diversity in computer science.
- Racial diversity of the CS pipelineData about our progress regarding diversity of gender plus race/ethnicity in the computer science pipeline over the past decade.
- 2020 update: women in computer scienceEver since I looked up the data a couple of years ago and found it to be far more fascinating than I expected, it’s been a bit of a hobby… Continue reading 2020 update: women in computer science
- We Need Diverse BooksFriends, an organization called We Need Diverse Books is trying to change the world so that all children can see themselves in the pages of a book. Their current fundraiser… Continue reading We Need Diverse Books
- Supporting Diversity in TechIn which we all support young people who are pursuing tech careers! Hey friends, guess what – I got paid! Now I know it takes *months* for authors to get… Continue reading Supporting Diversity in Tech
- Another reason to care about diversityIn addition to all of the traditional reasons for supporting diversity, I propose a new reason: that diverse teams will support each other better, resulting in a higher-quality work environment… Continue reading Another reason to care about diversity
- Engineering Diversity – Changing the Story to Change the EngineersThe way we talk about engineers impacts whether people try engineering, how confident they feel, and our perception of their competence.
- Fascinating stuff in our software pipeline numbersOur production of CS degrees has gone through a couple of boom-and-bust cycles, and we’re currently well into a third boom. Meanwhile, the percentage of women in CS peaked at its all-time high in our first boom and has declined with each bust since then.
- Podcast about developer stereotypesA podcast about how stereotypes affect who goes into software engineering… Starring yours truly! https://softwareengineeringdaily.com/2018/01/31/developer-stereotypes-with-sue-loh/
- This is what breaking ground feels likeMy friend Lisa Hsu just wrote this piece to express the isolation and exhaustion she feels working in an environment without enough women. https://firstname.lastname@example.org/the-incredible-loneliness-of-being-an-only-c35ab7d85da2 I applaud her bravery in sharing… Continue reading This is what breaking ground feels like
- Thoughts on the PipelineAs I outline here, we have a shortage of people in computer science in general, and especially a shortage of women and minorities. People usually break the shortages down into… Continue reading Thoughts on the Pipeline